Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum members, I have a 2001 Honda TRX 250 Recon and I need to rebuild the carb due to poor performance and running rough. I was looking on Ebay and I can purchase a new carb for about $30 and buy a rebuild kit for approximately the same price. The carb looks as though it doesn't come with any vacuum lines.

My questions include:
1. Has anyone bought any of theses carbs?
2. Are these quality carbs or does it follow the saying "You get what you paid for"?
3. How long does it take to replace vs rebuild a carb?
4. What brand of carb would you buy?
5. What brand of rebuild kit would you buy?

Thanks in advance for all responses!

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
I have never bought one of the carbs you might be describing. You do get what you pay for, but what do you expect from a carb? A carburetor is just a mixer. It mixes fuel with air. If you get it jetted right, any carb will work.

It takes longer to rebuild a carb than to replace one, but to get a new (different) carb jetted and performing correctly can take several hours if not days.

For performance, I would buy a Keihin or Mikuni carb. For general purpose, I have used Feng Shen, KunFu, Walbro, STD of China, Delorto, Amal and others. However, choose a compatible mount for your motor or mounting it might require some innovation on your part and don't forget to get one in the proper venturi size for your motor. You can run one either smaller or larger than the one you have, but the size you choose depends on the performance characteristics you are seeking. A carb smaller than the one you currently have will require larger jets and will have better throttle response, but will limit the top end performance. A larger than stock carb will use smaller jets, may cause a stumble upon acceleration, may cause decreased low end performance, but will allow the engine to rev to a higher top end. A larger carb's performance may be enhanced by installing a low restriction exhaust.

I personally would not buy a rebuild kit unless there was no other way to get the needed replacement parts. For most stock carbs, just go to the dealer and order the individual parts needed.

Most carbs need to be "rebuilt" due to neglect (not running for a long period of time or being stored outdoors). Most of the carbs that I work on just need a good cleaning. Those that need "repair" have been damaged by improper adjustment, previous rebuilds or chemicals. Fuel blended with Ethanol can cause chemical damage. The alcohol will combine with water and the mixture will corrode the metal the carb is made of. The corrosion is the white powdery or chunky stuff you see when the foat bowl is removed. If the corrosion is bad enough, the carb is junk. Regardless, the convienence of a rebuild kit is having all new parts to assemble the carb with. A kit from Honda usually has just the rubber parts and a kit from K&L Supply has everything except the float. I haven't used any other kits, so I cannot speak of those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never focus so much on repair but maintenance. I would rather go for replacements than repairs. Repairs are nothing if not a waste of resources in terms of money and time. Maintenance should however be encouraged since it is out of maintenance that unnecessary repairs are checked..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.