Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased an ‘04 trx250tm that I’m having trouble figuring out what the previous owner did with the wiring and unfortunately I’m unable to get in contact with them. Im wondering if the motor was possibly swapped because there are multiple sensors cut. The angle sensor on the front, speed sensor behind right foot, and a wire look coming from the back of the motor have all been cut. If I have a tm not te shouldn’t those not be there? As far as the wiring my reverse and neutral indicator light up at the same time and flicker with change in rpms. Electric start does not work. At the end of the wire harness the tape around resistor was cut off freeing a black and a green wire that I believe to be the “optional” hook ups on harness for hour meter. The red wire at the end of the harness that normally connects to the fuse at the battery has been connected to the black wire as well as to the battery side/green wire side of starter solenoid, and lastly the yellow+red wire coming off starter solenoid has been grounded. With the harness in place like this the bike runs fine but randomly cuts off unexpectedly. Does anyone know how I can fix this!? I bought a new harness and wired it correctly and the bike would not start. When I replaced previous harness and Hotwire, it will run. Pics attached. Thanks for taking the time to read and any help/insight greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well this is where it gets fun lol Originally thinking it was a wiring issue I had ordered a new hiring harness for an ‘04 tm and swapped the existing harness/Hotwire for the new harness and hooked everything up correctly but couldn’t get it to start. But when I took the new one off and hooked the previous harness up the way it had been, it started right up again. Is there anything else I need to check that may have been bypassed by the wire job that is preventing me from getting spark when wired correctly? I just don’t know what to test next. I know it’s not the regular/rectifier because I swapped a new one I had sitting around onto it to try my luck.
Thanks for the help and all the information on the vin, very useful so far! At least we know it’s not the correct motor now haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts