Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a new to me 2005 TRX 400ex. Runs great, other than I am having trouble when going through water. Going very slow, no splashing, when the water gets to about frame deep it starts to sputter and dies. It will restart, and have to sit there and run it in neutral for a bit keeping it going to clear it up to continue. Air-box is completely dry and not going fast enough to splash or get up into the spark plug area. Any areas I should inspect to find the problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check that out and report back.

Would it be helpful to add a second ground wire direct from the battery to the chassis? Currently it grounds to the engine, and what you are saying makes sense if the motor mounts get wet and the ground connection from the engine to the chassis could be affected.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the starter last night since as I had a set of brushes to put in it (have to tap the starter occationally to get it to turn) and cleaned all the mating surface good with the wire wheel since the ground wire goes to the starter. All the motor mounts were tight. Will see if cleaning up those grounding connections helps out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
I checked the motor mounts and cleaned the ground connections and it still did it.

I did notice the carburetor float overflow line hanging a bit under the chassis. I started it up and stuck it in a cup of water and a couple seconds later it started to sputter and died. Found the problem...not real sure why it is drawing water up that overflow line though. Is it supposed to have some sort of check valve on it?

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
The carb is not vented properly. There should be a vent line (or two) on the side of the carb to let air into the float bowl. It appears there may be a blockage in the vent tube (or tubes) therefore the float bowl is venting through the overflow drain tube. When you submerge the drain tube in water the vent is closed and a vacuum is created in the float chamber preventing the vacuum in the venturi from drawing fuel out of the fuel bowl and the engine dies from getting all air and no fuel. Inspect the vent. I have seen dried mud and other things (a pinched or folded line) cause a blockage. I have seen (I hate to say it, but) dumb owners close the line with a screw or nail and even (when there are two vent spigots) connect a single line from one spigot to the other. Good luck - I think you will solve the problem soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Here 2 Help. I will check that out. When I pulled the starter I remember seeing the two vent lines (I think they were actually had a "T" in them tying them together.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Some models had two separate lines - others had a T and a single line from the T to beneath the swingarm. You might remove the T and run the drain line below the machine and instal a vent line that loops up under the fuel tank to the front down tube and then down the front down tube to below the engine (or a similar up then down routing)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wanted to report back. I pulled the carb vent lines and blew air through them with the compressor and something blew out. That took care of the issue. Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.