Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’m new to the forum and am in need of some help. I currently have a 2007 Honda 400ex that I bought from an individual around 6 years ago. After buying and having issues I realized that my bike is far from stock lol. What I do know is it has stage 2 hot cams, FMF power core 4 full exhaust system, Doug Eichner Racing Eldibrock carburetor. K&N air filter and who knows what else lol. I am starting to have problems with the throttle on the carburetor. The bike runs fine but the throttle wheel is getting stuck and the plunger on the side of the carb is not compressing when the wheel is turned. This carb has been thoroughly cleaned and I think is coming to the end of its life. My question is, with the performance parts that it has (and possibly more) what carb setup would y’all recommend. Is there a performance carb out there or would y’all recommend getting a stock carb and putting jets in it. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
3,481 Posts
I would have installed a Keihin FCR carb ahead of an Edlebrock to begin with, but then I still have a stock carb on my 400EX - the FCR is stock on the 450R and since the 450 is more than the 400, they stay the way they are. If I need more power and speed, then I will go for the 700 instead of flogging the 400 or 450.

By the way, there is only one cam in the 400EX and a stage 2 cam is a good choice for an all round boost in performance, but regardless of what you do to the 400EX, the 450 will still out perform it, so there is no need to massage it.

If you are having problems with the performance EB carb, maybe consider the FCR carb and get rid of the K&N filter - it's probably why there is a problem with the carb (K&N flows more air, but it flows more dirt too - I just rebuilt an unrebuildable Mikuni BST-34 carb on a Polaris 500 ATP due to the amount of fine dirt that had worn out the slide needle and needle jet (see pics)) - fitting the FCR to the carb holder and jetting it is up to the engine builder and tuner - there is no chart that specifies which jets to use for what setup - it's as individual as the build.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts