Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I was hoping someone could help me.

We just installed a new Lonestar carrier in a 400ex. When we install the snap ring which retains the brake mount and carrier bearing, the carrier pretty much seizes in the swing arm making it near impossible to adjust the chain slack. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Without the snap ring installed the carrier rotates like butter.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Yes, Lonestar produced an out of spec product - might just be a series of them or they may all be incorrect. I installed one in my 05 TRX400EX and had to do some milling on the new OEM caliper mount to get the necessary clearance for an acceptable fit. It was easier to modify the caliper mount than the bearing housing, but if I ever install a Honda bearing carrier, I will probably need to get a new caliper mount also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. That's disappointing to hear. Sounds like this will be a pain in the butt to address. I just sent an email to Lonestar to see what they say.

I picked my carrier back in 2018 and just finally got around to installing it. I was hoping it was going to be a good experience having bought a high quality piece from a reputable manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
I didn't contact Lonestar - it wasn't the first time I encountered the problem. The first time someone else had installed a carrier and brought it to me because he couldn't get it to move to adjust the chain - I found out what the problem was and compensated for it. When I installed one in mine, I expected the problem, but hoped it was just an anomaly - I found it was the same and made adjustments to make it work. Other than that it is a good product.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's nice to know that I'm not alone! I reached out to LSR and they got back to me immediately. I'm going to be measuring the brake side of my carrier to ensure it's within tolerance and we'll go from there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, so problem found!

I checked the critical measurement that LSR asked me to check and it was correct. So it was good to know that we could eliminate a bad carrier housing as the source of the problem.

We ended up noticing a scratch on the brake side of the carrier housing. We then found a small burr on the bottom side of the brake bracket. It appeared that the bracket was nicked and it created a small burr on the mating surface of the bracket. I filed off the burr and it fixed the issue!

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Congratulations - on mine, the caliper bracket needed to have .010" milled off to provide clearance between the snap ring and the carrier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts