Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. anybody know why my starter sounds like its dragging when i hit the ignition? (it is a brand new starter that was put on today)
2. and also does anybody know how many volts i should be getting at the starter?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. i just checked the connection again and its all good. Im having the battery checked to make sure it doesnt have a dead cell.
Do u have any other ideas on what might be the problem if the battery is good?
Could it be miss alignment of the cranking gears in the engine?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Should not have to shim the starter, sounds like a battery problem or defective starter.

Reactions: tomgodd

·
Registered
333 Posts
You also asked about the decompression recall don't know but if it is not adjuster right it will make it hard to turn the moter over. pull the valve cover off ( have to pull the tank and heat deflector under tank) look at the decompressor on the right side under the valve cover and check the clearance with a feeler gage i have mine set the same as the exhaust valve clearance 11 thousands if , you can also use a compression gage screw into sparkplug hole spin motor and see what your compression is if its above 55 to 60 its to much for the starter loosen the nut on the decompressor and run the set screw dowm a little it won't take much and check compression again, you want between 55 and 60 for starting purposes, hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts