Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I have 2006 400EX. I just bought it last week. After changing the oil, I noticed it wouldn't start like it did on day one. I'm charging the battery right now but I think the starter might be going too. It makes a weird scratchy noise after it turns the engine. And it doesn't turn the engine right away, takes a second longer than usual. Anyways, my question is...

How would I know which of the two, the starter motor or starter solenoid relay, is going bad. Is there a way to differentiate between them?

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
The starter solenoid is just a switch - if you press the starter button and the starter motor runs, then the solenoid is probably OK - most common problems with solenoids is failure to close preventing starter motor from running and sticking on causing the starter motor to run continuously - sticking on will cause the starter motor to burn out and will make the motor crank when the key switch is turned off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So yesterday I changed the front master cylinder and when I finished I went to start it. The engine would turn once or twice and then the solenoid starting making fast clicking sound. Any ideas what's wrong or how to fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts