Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Honda XR250R motorcycle with 2006 Honda TRX400EX engine
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice rideable 1984 Honda XR250R dirt bike with a good 2006 Honda TRX400EX engine. All of the TRX engine wiring is in place and working but the lighting wiring was removed.

I am working on making the XR250R street legal through the use of a Tusk Enduro Lighting kit. Everything has been sorted out with one exception: The starter switch button I added doesn’t work. If I disconnect the Tusk wiring harness from the OEM TRX harness and plug the Honda switch assembly with lighting and starter button back in, everything is fine.

There is switched power to the OEM six-pin connector and all the lights and signals work properly.

I have a 2006 TRX400 wiring diagram but I have been unable to find a problem. The new aftermarket starter switch tests good.

How do I get the starter button situation worked out?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
I don't follow what you are doing:

You have an XR250R offroad bike with a TRX400EX engine in it and you can't get Frankenstein to come to life?

·
Registered
1984 Honda XR250R motorcycle with 2006 Honda TRX400EX engine
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You are SO funny! I think I'll call my bike "Frank" or "Frankie" from now on.

Problem solved: I re-examined the OEM "Switch Assy., Lighting & Starter Stop", and noticed the previous owner did a Clutch Switch delete by jumpering the green and yellow with green stripe wires and then wrapping the jumper and connectors with electrical tape.

On the TRX400 wiring harness on my bike I pulled the green and yellow with green stripe wire pins from the 6-pin connector, jumped them with a short green wire (soldered and insulated with heat shrink tubing), and re-inserted them in the connector.

The attached photos basically show the jumpers "before" and "after".

I'm good to go now!

For those who may be wondering, installation of the TRX400 engine provides only about three more horsepower but three times the torque, adds electric starting, and eliminates the problematic XR250 two-carburetor setup.

Here is the OEM Switch Assembly with the previous owner's jumpered Clutch Switch connectors:

This is my wiring harness jumper on the 6 pin connector:

Here is the complete wiring harness connector. The wiring from the starter switch button (and a hot wire to the headlight) are upper left; lower right is the TRX400 wiring with my new jumper:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts