Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 01 400ex that was having some problems starting and i thought it was the starter so i went and bought a new and it still wont start. so the problem im having is the starter will spin for about 5 seconds then turn the motor over and so on. im thinking it might be the starter clutch but im not sure. maybe a lose flywheel? im pretty new to this so any help would appreciated

·
Super Moderator
3,341 Posts
If the starter motor runs and the engine only starts to turn after letting the starter motor sun for a few seconds - it is definitely the starter clutch.

A quick, cheap temporary fix would to be change the oil and fill it with 5w30 - the lower viscosity oil will let the one way clutch 'bite' through the oil film easier. Old dirty oil only exacerbates the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i should probably still replace the starter clutch? and also is the starter clutch pretty hard to access?

·
Super Moderator
3,341 Posts
No - 5w30 oil will not hurt the engine

The starter clutch is on the back side of the flywheel - need a special puller to get it off - a jaw puller will damage the flywheel - the starter clutch can be purchased with these two part numbers; 28110-HN1-A70 gear (72t) 128.85 & HO28125-HN1-003 clutch outer $161.80 - you might want to replace the 6 allen bolts that hold it to the flywheel; 96700-08016-10 bolt, socket (8X16) $1.20 ea and you will need the gasket, oil and an oil filter.

You will need the puller, a 1/2' air or electric impact driver, an 8mm allen socket, and some blue locktite

1 - 10 of 10 Posts