Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I did a bad thing last night and stripped the fill plug on front diff' of my '04 Rancher. That's the big one (about 1 1/2"), so a heli-coil isn't a practical option. I was pissed off and walked away from it last night, so I'm not sure if it ate the threads off of the plug (I'm probably not gonna be that lucky) or out of the housing.....or both. If the housing is jacked up, do any of you know a practical repair without replacing the housing???

·
Super Moderator
4,715 Posts
Unfortunately, no - replacing the housing is the most practical solution and it is no longer available from Honda

You have 3 options and none is cheap:
Option 1 - Based on your having a TRX350FA Rancher and not a TRX500 or 650 Rancher, the case is NLA, but the entire differential is - if it's a 650, the case is available for about $200 - if it's a 350 the differential is $850

Option 2 - find a used differential either complete and ready to bolt in or for parts and use it to get the parts to fix yours

Option 3 - remove and disassemble your differential - take the damaged part to a machine shop and have then weld the damage hole and re-cut the threads either on a CNC mill or using the appropriate hand tap

If it were mine, I would find a used unit in usable condition, swap it out and keep the old one for spare parts

Check with powersportsnation.com at Ph: 402-371-7002

·
Super Moderator
4,715 Posts
Thanks. That's what I figured. Turns out that I got lucky and it only cracked the fill cap. I have a new one on order and should be back in business by the end of the week.
Now avoid a repeat scenario by installing a new o-ring with the new cap (and get a couple extra new o-rings) - only tighten the cap to the point that the o-ring is compressed and metal to metal contact is felt - the o-ring will keep it from vibrating out even if you don't tighten it to the point of contact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.......only tighten the cap to the point that the o-ring is compressed and metal to metal contact is felt ......
Yeah, I knew better.......but it didn't keep it from happening. I think that 16 years of over-tightening it ever so slightly had already taken it's toll. I managed to avoid a major problem this time and will DEFINITELY be more careful in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.