Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure hoping I can find some help here. I have a 1990 Fourtrax 300. It had been running great and then was parked. Went back the next day to start it and it wouldn’t go into neutral so I couldn’t start it. Loaded it in my truck to have it looked at and it went into neutral. Was able to shift through all the gears with the motor off. I went through the gears 4 or 5 times and then it stopped shifting again. I have pulled off both right and left side covers and all gear shift components are good. After I got it apart, I was able to get it to shift through two gears and now it won’t shift again. Could this be a bent fork? Hoping someone can shed some light on the problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
It's designed to be shifted with either the engine running or the rear wheels turning. If the engine is not running or the wheels are not turning, it may shift into a gear by pure chance. Usually if at rest with the engine stopped it may shift into 1st or 2nd, but rarely more than than that. The chances of shifting through all the gears without the engine running or the wheels turning is phenomenal, but might occur somewhat commonly on a particular vehicle depending on how the transmission was indexed at installation, but there is no "correct" indexing of the transmission. It occurs by pure chance.

Hope you find this helpful

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's designed to be shifted with either the engine running or the rear wheels turning. If the engine is not running or the wheels are not turning, it may shift into a gear by pure chance. Usually if at rest with the engine stopped it may shift into 1st or 2nd, but rarely more than than that. The chances of shifting through all the gears without the engine running or the wheels turning is phenomenal, but might occur somewhat commonly on a particular vehicle depending on how the transmission was indexed at installation, but there is no "correct" indexing of the transmission. It occurs by pure chance.

Hope you find this helpful
Currently the engine is out of the machine. So with it sitting on a table should it shift through the gears?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts