Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 TRX400EX. Changing the rear axle bearings I noticed the swingarm felt loose. No problem got the parts needed and proceeded with taking the swingarm off and replacing the bearings seals collars and bolt.

The bolt is welded in to the collars in the swingarm. I have pounded it with a 5 pound hammer, a 10 pound sledge, it ain't moving.

And yes I did take the nut off. Tried heating it up with a torch.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks Mojo

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
GOOD LUCK! I had the same situation on a dirt bike. I drilled the bolt out on each end, larger and larger till it was paper thin, then spread the frame as much as possible and used a hack saw blade to cut through what was left freeing the swing arm from the frame. Then drilled the bolt out of the bushing (collar) on one side to be able to remove the bushings. Once the bushings are out, remove the bearings. Regular maintenance and not using high pressure washers will prevent this problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I replaced the swing arm bearings 2 years ago and the new "pivot works" bearings are already shot. I think I need to replace the bolt next time:confused:. Are pivot works a decent brand? Or what brand (reasonably priced) would be recommended?

Sory butt in.

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
Pivot works is a quality product - lack of grease, high pressure washers and poor maintenance are are the biggest reasons for problems. Once a year the entire suspension components need to be dismantled, old grease washed out, new grease put in, everything assembled and properly torqued. I have an 04 and have yet to replace any suspension components that were not damaged by a crash. Use Pivot works, All Balls, MSR or OEM - they are all quality products.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have an 2005 400 and had the same problem it took me, cutting in multiple spots, heating the bolt head in with a torch and punching it out. Be patient with it

Reactions: chuck236

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sometimes they have to be cut out thats the only thing that will free the bolt up but what i did was spray WD40 on the bushings and bolt throughout the day and the same thing the next day and hit the bolt and it came out just be patient, either do that or cut it out thats the only choices you have unfortunetly lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well when i did mine I drilled the secure out on each end, bigger and bigger until it was document slim, then propagate the structure as much as possible and used a crack saw knife to cut through what was remaining liberating the move arm from the structure. Then drilled the secure out of the bushing (collar) on one part to be able to eliminate the bushings. Once the bushings are out, eliminate the bearings. Frequent servicing and not using questionable units will avoid this issue.. . . . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Swingarm bolt

the swingarm bolt on my 02 400 ex was stuck it wouldn't budge so I put a jackstand under the left footpeg to the point it almost wanted to fall over then sprayed it with pb blaster for a few days came right out

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had that prob this week. I sprayed (generously) with pb. Let it sit over night. Then sprayed again and let it sit another day. I drilled the bolt with a 5/32 drill bit. Used a 3/8× 24 tap and cut threads in the inside. I put a grade 8 bolt in and used a slide hammer to assist. It slid right out. I was recommended to remove the bolt yearly. Remember to use anti seize after getting using an emrey cloth to clean it up when putting it back in. Happy riding!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts