Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time forum user so bear with me. Have a 98 TRX 250 Recon that is giving me sticking float issues. Rebuilt the carb and replaced all rubber fuel lines, vent tubes, etc. a couple of years ago due to good ole ethanol (not using that junk anymore). Ran fine with no problems until about a year ago and began having issues with the float sticking open. Cleaned carb and put in-line fuel filter on and fixed problem, got a couple more rides out of and today float stuck again. Did a trailside repair to unstick float, rode about 1/2 mile and stuck open again. Rode back to the truck shut fuel valve off, loaded up and turned fuel valve back on and no stuck float. When returned home after an hour drive, unloaded, turn fuel valve back on and still no stuck float.

I cannot replace the fuel tank valve screen as the nut in the plastic spins in the tank, but screen looks fine. Have cleaned fuel tank as best as possible and figured in-line filter would catch anything. I'm thinking the float valve may be bad and/or the float itself. Been riding for dang near 45 years and this is aggravating me. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
The problem usually turns out to be:
1) debris preventing the needle from seating
2) defective float needle
3) corroded or damaged needle seat - the seat is not replaceable (it's part of the carb), but the seat can be polished by jamming a wad of 0000 grade steel wool into the seat and spinning it with a small screwdriver
4) defective float
5) a damaged (maybe split) overflow tube in the float bowl - the bowl may be purchased new from Honda for about $89, or a talented mechanic can replace a damaged tube for about $30

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.