Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a trx 250 recon, and i stripped the oil plug drain threads. if i were to get a helicoil for a redo, what size helicoil insert should i order to get the same size as the original drain plug a 12mm i think (altho i use a 17mm wrench to get at it), order a 12mm insert or a 14mm insert for the plug bolt? tnx leon

·
Super Moderator
3,769 Posts
It's a 12x1.25 thread about 12 mm in depth - you will need a new sealing washer also and only torque the drain plug to 12 to 14 ft lbs to avoid stripping it again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, so i order a 12mm x 1.25 sized Heliocoil insert. and what are the names of the sealing washer, is a there a brand that maked them? tnx leon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tnx. i thought they might have been a softer squishable washer that keep oil from leaking in redos.

·
Super Moderator
3,769 Posts
It is aluminum and soft enough it will extrude out after being tightened several times and needs to be replaced about every 3rd to 5th oil change - they will extrude faster when over tightened which is most of the time - torque to 12 to 14 ft lbs and you can make one last about 10 oil changes.

I just removed an improperly installed 10 mm time-sert in a Yamaha and heli-coiled it to 12x1.25 and installed a Honda drain plug and washer - the original 10 mm plug had a 17 mm head as does the 12 mm plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts