Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 trx300 and am having a tapping noise in the lower part of the engine as it idles. It's a gentle knocking and I am going to try and tighten the timing chain. I researched and looked for hours today trying to find a video... article... anything. I gathered that it can be done but am pretty sure I don't know how. I have found the tensioner but i can't turn the bolt at the tip.

Can I get some advice and guidance about the general knocking problem and/or tightening the timing chain? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
The cam chain tensioner is automatic, but if you must.......

Remove the bolt from the back of the tensioner (typically an 8mm head)(5/16 will work too), use a small screwdriver, insert it into the hole that you removed the bolt from, with the engine running, turn the screw inside the hole counter-clockwise just enough to stop the ticking (no more than 1/8 of a turn). If the screw does not turn, try turning it clockwise about 1/4 turn. If it turns CW the noise should increase, just remove the screwdriver and the noise should decrease. If it is still ticking after all this, then it probably needs a new cam chain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.