Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I have been working on a 06 400ex rebuild for the past two years. I forgot to diagnose the tyranny when I had the motor apart. I can get into neutral and 1st gear but no others. No clicks or feeling of clicks in the shifter. I have a new clutch kit and springs I'm putting in. Is there anything else I should look for? It's a little imposing with all the pieces.
Secondly, with filling the brake lines, I've come across 2 procedures. Pump the brake, then hold and open bleeder or just hold the brake and open bleeder which is correct?

Thanks for your time gents.

·
Super Moderator
4,761 Posts
Hey guys.
I have been working on a 06 400ex rebuild for the past two years. I forgot to diagnose the tyranny when I had the motor apart. I can get into neutral and 1st gear but no others. No clicks or feeling of clicks in the shifter. I have a new clutch kit and springs I'm putting in. Is there anything else I should look for? It's a little imposing with all the pieces.
Secondly, with filling the brake lines, I've come across 2 procedures. Pump the brake, then hold and open bleeder or just hold the brake and open bleeder which is correct?

Thanks for your time gents.
I presume you have the engine running while trying to shift? The transmission will not shift more than 1 or 2 gears without the engine running or the rear wheels turning.

Really a tough call on the transmission and unfortunately the engine has to be completely disassembled to repair the shift mechanism if the problem is there.

My guess is the centering pin #12 is bent of loose - if that was the case it would prevent the shift pawl from positioning properly on the shift drum star and a slight downward pressure on the shift lever would be needed for the pawl to catch the next point to be ablr to rotate the drum. See if you can press down slightly in neutral and then shift to second gear.

Font Auto part Drawing Tool Music

While you are in there messing with the clutch, raise the rear of the vehicle and while spinning the rear wheels slowly use a T-handle socket to turn the bolt in the shift drum to shift gears - if it will shift into all gears by turning the bolt, the the problem is in the shift mech and the engine must come apart. If it won't shift with the bolt, then the engine has to come apart to repair the transmission. If you were trying to shift without the engine running or the rear wheels turning, then there may be no problem other than not understanding the workings of a constant mesh transmission

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Font Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I presume you have the engine running while trying to shift? The transmission will not shift more than 1 or 2 gears without the engine running or the rear wheels turning.

Really a tough call on the transmission and unfortunately the engine has to be completely disassembled to repair the shift mechanism if the problem is there.

My guess is the centering pin #12 is bent of loose - if that was the case it would prevent the shift pawl from positioning properly on the shift drum star and a slight downward pressure on the shift lever would be needed for the pawl to catch the next point to be ablr to rotate the drum. See if you can press down slightly in neutral and then shift to second gear.

View attachment 5153

While you are in there messing with the clutch, raise the rear of the vehicle and while spinning the rear wheels slowly use a T-handle socket to turn the bolt in the shift drum to shift gears - if it will shift into all gears by turning the bolt, the the problem is in the shift mech and the engine must come apart. If it won't shift with the bolt, then the engine has to come apart to repair the transmission. If you were trying to shift without the engine running or the rear wheels turning, then there may be no problem other than not understanding the workings of a constant mesh transmission

View attachment 5154
Thanks Here2Help. You are partially correct, I knew the engine has to be running but I am unfamiliar with the specific workings of the transmission. I will see what I come across this weekend. With the rear wheels off the ground, it goes into first but nothing else. I'm worried that the part that the shift lever attaches to is broke. We shall see. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts