Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1985 model TRX 125 the other day, I cleaned the carb an got it started, quite easily, but it won't shift out of neutral. The gear shift lever is broke off, and I can tell where someone tried welding something to it. Any suggestions on what is keeping it from going into gear? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Without having hands on it, all guesses will be wrong, but quite simply; the shift drum is not rotating - if the shift shaft rotates, it moves the arm (12) with the hooks - the hooks push or pull the pins (7) to make the drum rotate - things that happen? Spring #13 breaks and will not return the shift shaft to the center position. The spring on part #12 that lifts the hooked arm into the pins breaks and the arm falls not engaging the pins. Bolt #16 comes loose and the quadrant #8 and the drum is not held in place by the lock #9. The drum rusts and seizes to part #6 preventing rotation. The centering bolt #14 comes loose and the shift mechanism is not located properly. Some of the possibilities can be determined or eliminated by an experienced technician, but he has to be able to operate the parts to make the determination.

The bad news is most of the illustrated parts are no longer available

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I appreciate the information. I'm 37 yrs old and I believe a 4 wheeler or 3 wheeler is the only thing I hadn't worked on. I'll learn as I go I guess lol how do I get to the internals, taking the side plate off? I just didn't know if anything will fall out or is in tact, thank u again

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
To see the shifter mechanism internals - the RH engine cover has to be removed - start by draining the oil and if you don't have one get a good #3 Phillips socket bit and an electric, hand or air impact tool (makes removing the screws so much less intensive)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts