Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Mick and new to this forum. I'm on the southwest Oregon coast. I have a 1997 TRX 200D that I have had for almost 20 years. It's always been the most reliable machine till now. Yesterday, it was running fine I tried to shift from 1st to Reverse and it got stuck. The engine was running OK so I shut it off because it was always easier to shift it back to neutral. Now the mechanical shifter can click through gears but can't find neutral. This model has an internal centrifugal clutch , I think.
When working normal, shifting From Neutral one click down into 1st, then pull up to 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Push down to downshift back to 1st then a half click up to neutral. Reverse from Neutral, push the red button on the left brake, pull the brake lever, toe the shifter up to Reverse.

So now it feels like it is stuck in a high gear when I rock it back and forth. I can click the lever down about 3 times then it stops clicking, now rocking, it feels like low gear. It feels like a double click when I pull it up lever and can go back up through the gears but can't find neutral. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,722 Posts
I suspect the spring on the shift lock has broken and it simply is not indexing neutral between first and second gear - unfortunately all three clutches will need to be removed to access the mechanism and the centrifugal clutch requires a puller to remove it from the crankshaft.

Here's the breakdown on the clutches.
White Motor vehicle Font Auto part Drawing

Here is the clutch puller (Note: the retaining nut is LH threaded and should be replaced (as should the manual clutch retaining nut)
Font Circle Line art Parallel Drawing

Here's the shift mechanism - most likely, the spring #14 (or something associated with it) broke.
Font Auto part Parallel Art Slope

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have the service manual. Looks like some serious surgery, I was afraid of that. I will have to take it back to my shop this fall. Also Looks like 3 special tools and parts that will probably be hard to find and take some innovation. This is practically a wilderness for a job like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts