Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to download the picture, but it looks like a bolt loosened up and the shifter shaft almost came out. Can i just push it back in and tighten the bolt? A breakdown schematic show there may be a washer in there too.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
That's the emergency manual shift shaft - if you push it in and can run the bolt in with having to use force and afterwards it will shift using a wrench, then just snug the bolt and all is well.

If you can't push it in and get the bolt in, the rear cover has to come off the engine to relocate and secure the parts which requires the engine be removed to perform this operation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It goes in far enough to shift but not far enough for the bolt to hold it. I guess i will keep shaking it around and see if it goes a little further, then break it down if it doesn't. I should get a new gasket for rear case cover. Any other parts?

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
The part that is holding you up is probably # 28 on the drawing here https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2 - you will probably want to pull the cover just to verify that that part is in place and not floating around inside the motor.

Besides the gasket, you could replace any questionable seals in the rear cover and you might as well get a new oil filter and oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info, i will stand it up on end and shake it around one more time and see if # 28 will line up before i take it down. Do you have a good service manual recommendation?

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
The parts were the same 2002 to 2019 and I can't find that Honda published a new manual after 2011. When I bought my 97 XR250 manual it came with a sticker to cover the year. Instead of the manual being for a 97, it instantly covered 1997 to 2001 just by applying the sticker. I have a copy of the Honda manual through 2011 in PDF - I could email it to you. Just PM me your email address if you would like it and tell me in the PM which manual you are requesting. Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts