Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, one of my buddies has a 2005 trx 250 that he is going to sell me for dirt cheap. The engine is blown and I dont want to rebuild the 250, but rather buy a used 450 engine and put that in. What exactly is involved in this swap? Carb, cdi, drive sprockets and chain? Would it be worth it or are parts going to run me as much as just buying a 450? I have no idea can you guys give me a hand? thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey guys, one of my buddies has a 2005 trx 250 that he is going to sell me for dirt cheap. The engine is blown and I dont want to rebuild the 250, but rather buy a used 450 engine and put that in. What exactly is involved in this swap? Carb, cdi, drive sprockets and chain? Would it be worth it or are parts going to run me as much as just buying a 450? I have no idea can you guys give me a hand? thanks
It would not be worth it, because it is one of those," impossible projects". I know anything is possible, but this is too much. Depending on how dirt cheap you would be getting the 250EX for, you could fix it up for cheap and sell it for a profit towards a 450R, or other sport quad. As long as it only needs a few cheap parts to fix it to running condition.

The 250EX and the 450R are about as far apart as ATV's can get. The 250 has a small engine compartment, and shaft drive. Besides what you mentioned above, the 450R requires a chain driven rear end, room for its larger motor, and room for the radiator and fan. There is more I am forgetting, but it not a easy task by any standard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, I can get the quad for like 100 bucks. Is there any way I can possibly put a 500 2 stroke in it? I would love to use this quad, the motor is completely shot and would cost abit for a total rebuild. Thanks again

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey, I can get the quad for like 100 bucks. Is there any way I can possibly put a 500 2 stroke in it? I would love to use this quad, the motor is completely shot and would cost abit for a total rebuild. Thanks again
Like mentioned above....the quad you are buying is shaft driven...not chain. Converting an engine over that is set up for chain...isn't going to be a simple thing at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can the 250 frame support a chain drive system if I got an axle from a 450? I probably wont convert the engine to shaft drive.... Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you are gonna keep the 250, your pretty much limited to buying another 250 engine. You still have other options for power such as a big bore kit, bigger carb jets, full exhaust systems, etc. here is a link to a big bore kit to bring the quad from 229cc up to 243.8cc's: POWROLL PRODUCTS FOR THE HONDA TRX 250EX

You may even want to thrown on a POWER BAND!! (Tehee)

·
Registered
40 Posts
You are looking at WAY more expense & time converting it over....and it won't be easy at all unless you are friends with someone like a machinist. Like mentioned...rebuild the 250 and sell it for profit. Or ride it and enjoy it. The thing bone stock will outrun most utility ATV's on trails by a breeze. Plenty fast enough to hurt you too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, my mistake... the quad is a chain drive 250 race quad. I am not sure of the year right now. What are my options now because it is chain driven? Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not aware of a 2005 TRX 250 that is chain drive...but could be mistaken. Can you get a picture of it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts