Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trx350d, think it's a 1987, I have had some running issues with it for a while, so I have stripped the carb and thoroughly cleaned it, (it has been though an ultrasonic cleaner twice). I replaced all the jets but can't replace the needle as the screw holding the arm to the shaft has stripped in the top of the carb and don't want to brake it. The needle looks to be fine with no scoring or grooves or anything. I have put it all back together and I can get it to fire up but it will only run on full choke, and even then its very lumpy, and the revs often surge, but as soon as I let off the tiniest bit of choke it dies, any pointers? Do I need to screw the pilot jet further in? Should I replace the fuel? (as currently has premium as I has a can spare) any help appreciated

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
Quite simple - there is no fuel getting through the idle circuit or there is an excess amount of air getting into the idle circuit - turning the fuel screw in leans it out - the pilot jet cannot be turned in any further - the pilot jet screws in to a seat and is tightened just sufficiently to prevent it from loosing and falling into the float bowl from vibration while the engine is running.

With that said; are you sure the pilot screw was not over tightened and the tip of the screw is not broken off and jammed in the hole in the throat of the carb? Also, regardless of the fact it was cleaned in a sonic cleaner, what kind of cleaning agent was in the sonic cleaner?

I assess the problem as a dirty, improperly cleaned or damaged carb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts