Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum, based in the UK, just brought a2009 trx400x with a locked motor, turns out 440 kit fitted with hot cam etc, stripped the motor down and it has snapped the cylinder, any thoughts on the fleabay big bore kits as a good 2nd hand barrel seems to be hand to find, all input and thoughts kindly needed, regards mark uk

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
If you are going back to STD on the cylinder then the Chinese kits are not too bad, I have an OEM cylinder with the heavy sleeve installed and matched with a Namura 440 piston on Ebay - search for seller motorcycle_ guy

The problem with the Chinese cylinders is they are too thin after boring to 89 mm and the sleeves crack - the Chinese cylinders cannot have the heavy sleeve installed as they are not counter bored at the top for the flange and lack the reinforcement fins in the OEM casting - I've seen Chinese cylinders that the sleeve will fall out of if heated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're going to be installing that hot cam again I would definitely stay away from Chinese knockoffs... I've had nothing but headaches with them... But I had to test them they're so cheap. I'm now going back to my original cylinder and the 440 kit that comes with the sleeve and a piston ,wiseco that I just purchased on eBay for $133 (hint when it says OBO I start at half there asking price). In the end you're only going to spend a little bit more money but it's going to save you ALOT of hassle.
If you can't find a used cylinder over there try looking across the pond they're a dime a dozen here... Have the head decked and use the all metal gaskets they tend to send a lot of the head gaskets in paper. Our engines get way too hot for that... Good luck and happy hunting

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, I've had a lot of xr400s, and always had trouble with top ends, cam rattle, burning oil etc, thinking maybe a sleeve is the way to go, just not to sure about going 440, any recommendations on which way to go or best value for money, forgot to mention its fitted with a full sparks exhaust, pumper carb, k n air filter, race cdi, think it's a stage 3 cam, still trying to confirm this, thanks again

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I've had a lot of xr400s, and always had trouble with top ends, cam rattle, burning oil etc, thinking maybe a sleeve is the way to go, just not to sure about going 440, any recommendations on which way to go or best value for money, forgot to mention its fitted with a full sparks exhaust, pumper carb, k n air filter, race cdi, think it's a stage 3 cam, still trying to confirm this, thanks again
You can bore a stock cylinder to 88 mm (426 cc) without sleeving, but you still have to use the big bore head gasket (Cometic number H040207S or top end gasket set C7826) - you can bore to 87 mm (416 cc) and still use the stock head gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are going back to STD on the cylinder then the Chinese kits are not too bad, I have an OEM cylinder with the heavy sleeve installed and matched with a Namura 440 piston on Ebay - search for seller motorcycle_ guy

The problem with the Chinese cylinders is they are too thin after boring to 89 mm and the sleeves crack - the Chinese cylinders cannot have the heavy sleeve installed as they are not counter bored at the top for the flange and lack the reinforcement fins in the OEM casting - I've seen Chinese cylinders that the sleeve will fall out of if heated.
Can u send me the link plz as I cant find it, cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
Can u send me the link plz as I cant find it, cheers
It appears there was a error with the listing and Ebay suppressed it pending correction.

If you are interested in it, here's the details:
1) LA Sleeve H5445 liner - MSRP $110 - (no pic other than LA sleeve file photo)
1) Namura 89 mm piston kit NA-10004 MSRP $111

Installation of the sleeve by Kustom Kraft Performance (WEBSITE) - $220

Kustom Kraft offers the 440 sleeve installed in your cylinder for $379 - that's the sleeve, installation and boring to finished size (final fitting of piston is the responsibility of the mechanic doing the work and the piston purchased).

Wiseco piston MSRP $204 - Vertex piston MSRP $170 - J&E piston $223

I can also supply just the 89 mm Cometic head gasket ($26) or a complete Cometic top end gasket set for $37.

I am selling the cylinder with piston kit valued at $458 ($220 sleeving, $110 sleeve and $111 piston and shipping cost) for $425 with free shipping and will give you back $25 for an OEM sleeve-able cylinder that does not have any stripped bolt hole threads, broken fins or damaged gasket surfaces.

I keep one on hand for the guys who race because they rebuild their engines frequently and don't like to wait 3 weeks to get a cylinder sleeved or re-sleeved.

Or you might contact Kustom Kraft and check into getting your cylinder sleeved and using the parts you currently have.

Since this is not Ebay, I am not violating any policies by providing links or trademark information.

Just let me know before I revise the Ebay listing that I started - it is being held as a draft for the moment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, quick update on quad, managed to get a barrel n piston, gaskets etc from ur side of the water, fitting new con rod as well, it's going back to 440, my nxt question, query is should I get rid of the race cdi and go back to stock, as always thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
All the race CDI does is change the ignition advance curve slightly to advance the timing presuming that higher octane fuel - the higher octane fuel needs to be ignited a few degrees earlier because of it's slower burn rate - and the race CDI removes the reve limiter so the engine is easier to grenade by aggressive or inexperienced riders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts