Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an '05 TRX400EX. The Honda tool kit is a joke.
Is there a company other than Cabela's that sells an ATV tool kit?
So far this is what I carry (in a fanny pack).

6" Crescent wrench
reversible screw driver
assd. Zip-ties
Safety wire
Duct tape
electrical tape
Plyers
6" needle nose locking plyers
Allen wrench's (specific to the bike)
1/4" ratchet, 8mm, 10, 12, 14 sockets.
1/4" 4" extension
Combination wrench's 10, 12, 14
small tip Phillips screw driver and small flat
lighter/ shrink tubing.
Spark plug and wrench
Spare fuses
(all in a tool wrap)
flash light, also 'bill' flash light that attaches to base Ball Cap
Cheap rain poncho (it was a bar give away, I won)
Ist aid kit and a class to know what to do BEFORE it happens. Emergency space blanket.
Baby wipes (small pack)
(2) shop rags
(4)Cylume sticks
25' parachute cord
mini 'Slime' brand air compresser
16oz. bottle automotive Slime.
Plug kit (used before Slime(if the plug won't stop the leak a combination of plug and slime does) most of the time.
mini jumper cables (may pitch these, I've never used them and, they take up space.
Tow strap.
What else should I carry?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a 30 oz MSR fuel can and mounted the bracket where the factory tool kit was. Its nice to carry a lil extra gas.

I carry most of what you listed above in my camelback. I plan on getting a 6 pack rack so I dont have to carry the tools on my back. I would add a Leatherman Multi-tool and I also keep a very small bag with various size metric nuts and bolts and a couple of lugnuts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a 30 oz MSR fuel can and mounted the bracket where the factory tool kit was. Its nice to carry a lil extra gas.

I carry most of what you listed above in my camelback. I plan on getting a 6 pack rack so I dont have to carry the tools on my back. I would add a Leatherman Multi-tool and I also keep a very small bag with various size metric nuts and bolts and a couple of lug nuts
ALL good ideas! I will load a leatherman and an assortment of metric hardware, too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is awesome. Maybe a few people should sit down, and design something that can mount to a quad with this list, and maybe a few other things. The smaller the better.
You have options. John Deer sells a 'document carrier'. It is injected molded plastic with a screw-on lid. I plan to hit a home improvement store and their PVC pipe dept. 6" dia. pipe (black) with a glue on cap at one end. The other end will have a screw-on cap. The 'pipe' will be strapped to the 6-pak rack(using S.S. hose clamps) on the back of the TRX400EX.
You can make your 'tool tube' any length you want. :0)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That is really cool, I am going to have to do this, and build a kit like this. One thing to add, and it has happened more than once to me, is carry a master link for the chain. I had two blow off.
I use 'staking type' masters. No clip to come off. If you must use the type you have on there now, make sure the clip is oriented in the proper direction for the chains rotation. A trick I learned to help keep the clip from coming off the master, silicone the clip in place. Another tip, safety wire around the clip and side plate.

That being said, I will pick-up a 'spare clip type master' and, add it to the kit! (just in case)!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.