Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 250ex. This was before the change to the "sport clutch". Earlier today we started having issues with the engine wanting to die when you stopped. It would continue to pull like the clutch was engaged. Not fully but enough to start moving. So I checked the idle and it is ok. Next I checked the adjustment on the clutch itself. Out till resistance then in 1/4 turn. Just like I have done many times on other bikes. Still same issue. If you continue to turn counterclockwise after about 3/4 turn while running it finally disengages and idles back up to normal idle. But at that point it is adjusted too far out to ever engage like normal. Anyway... for some reason I decided to check the oil.... I do not service this bike by the way I rely on the rider to take care of it.... it was very low on oil. I filled the oil back up hopeing maybe somehow this might help. But no still same situation. I am not well versed on 4 wheeler clutches since honestly in all of the 4 wheelers I have had over the years I have never had to mess with one beyond adjusting the screw... I looked the setup of it up online and again it made it worse for me to understand since it looks as though it uses a system of two different parts to run the clutch. Every motorcycle i have had uses a single self contained unit. So needless to say I am at a loss on this one. I don't want to tear into it before I at least get some feedback on what it could be. Is it possible that something seized or galled up or whatever when it ran low on oil? Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
What you have in the 250EX is actually 3 clutches. A manual clutch, a centrifugal clutch and a one way clutch.

The problem you describe is due to the centrifugal clutch which is not adjustable. I would suspect a broken spring. Pull the clutch cover and explore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am guessing some sort of mechanical failure as well. However the 2005 TRX250 does not have a manual clutch. I believe that started in 2006. Also the centrifugal clutch is adjustable although I know its not very adjustable. As I said I have worked on these things for years but never had one act quite like this. I think I will tear into it soon and see what we got going on.

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
04, 05, 06 and other years all use the same clutch set-up. The centrifugal clutch is not adjustable. The manual clutch is. The manual clutch is released during shifting. If you practice, you can press down (or up) on the shift lever, hold it, release it slowly and engage the manual just like using a handle bar lever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry.. I referred to it incorrectly. I am used to a dirtbike type auto clutch that uses one self contained unit. The adjustment i guess is really just an adjustment to the automatic release built in to the shifting. But the 2006 does have a different setup. It uses the "sport clutch". Yeah the clutch itself is the same but the case is different and uses a lever to release the clutch if you wish to do so. Anyway.... my problem is apparently something with the centrifugal part of the clutch not releasing completely. So any ideas on what could be going on there.... maybe a seized bearing or one that is about to seize up? Obviously i have something in there dragging a little.

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
I'm guessing a broken spring in the centrifugal clutch. A remote possibility could be a problem in the sprag clutch which is in the centrifugal clutch. There are a few other possibilities, such as a seized bushing between the crankshaft and the centrifugal clutch housing, but you still have to remove the cover to inspect.

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
Good deal - congratulations!
Part number for the spring is 22463-HB3-770 (about $3.00 each) - I suggest you replace all three.
If you need a cover gasket, it is part number 11394-HM8-000 (about $24.00)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts