Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 trx300ex , 2004 raptor 686 , 86 lt230ge , 81 xr250r , 2001 ttr125
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everything was running good and while the wife was riding the atv just instantly died. Would not do anything so I rolled it back and found that the fuse had blown. I searched around and couldn't find any places where wire is grounding out but I haven't broke out the multimeter yet. I replaced the 15 amp fuse and as soon as I turn the key on it blows. Oddly if I put a 25 amp fuse in it starts and runs fine. Anybody good with electrical here?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
The problem has to be in the black, brown, black/white wire or green wire. Green is ground, but a poor connection on a green wire can cause a high current situation and blow the fuse, but usually a poor connection has to heat before the fuse blows so it's not instant.

Now, a fuse is to protect the wires, so over fusing should generate a warm wire somewhere.

Black is hot when the key is turned on - black feeds the neutral light, the reverse light and the brown wire when the light switch is on - brown is internally connected to the dimmer switch and brown then feeds blue for high beam and white for low beam. Unplug the lights or turn them off and see if the fuse blows - if yes, remove or disconnect the neutral and reverse lights one at a time and try again - if it still blows the 15 amp fuse with all the lights out or off it's either the CDI unit or a wiring problem.

·
Registered
2006 trx300ex , 2004 raptor 686 , 86 lt230ge , 81 xr250r , 2001 ttr125
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try without the headlights and it still blew.. I came across a older reply you made that about fuses blowing after painting. I had just painted the frame so last night I tried sanding the ground connection area to the frame that runs from the wire harness. I put the 15 back in and it started without blowing the fuse. Haven't got to ride it yet to see if like you said maybe it has to generate heat first. If it does then I'll start tracing those colored wires. Thanks for the reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts