Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some troubles with my new to me fourtrax 300. When i was purchasing seemed to idle and run great, Started right up.went up and down the driveway no stalling or dying out. Bought the atv and brought it home started it up to let it warm On the truck to unload, and it would idle fine and then randomly dies. Starts right back up as soon as you hit the starter idles fine then after a minute or so randomly dies. Seems to stay going a little better when its warm but took it for a test spin down the trail and it died while riding. Put it in neutral hit the button started right up, shifted up and it died out again. Started back up took it home and rode around the house A few times no problems. Parked it till the next day went for a ride and started having same issues just randomly dies out. Sometimes in gear, sometimes in neutral, not sure if its beacause of riding in wrong gear as its my first foot shift atv. It has a new carburetor not sure if oem or not, just not really sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated, would love to see if the old hondas are what theyre made out to be.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Random dying and easy restarting generally turns out to be a fuel issue, but I had a similar experience that turned out to be the spark plug. Try a new NGK (or any spark plug other than Champion) and see what happens. If it still randomly dies, check the fuel tank venting, carb float bowl venting, fuel line for kinks and the flow of fuel from the petcock - a faulty petcock might be the problem as could be the fuel filter in the fuel tank which is on the petcock.

By the way, I'm having a similar problem on my lawn mower - I know it's the carb as I have to pump the primer bulb to get it to restart even when hot. When I first happened I figured it was probably out of gas, so I filled it - when I went to fill it I found it had more than a half tank of fuel. Second time it happened I though maybe it was low on oil (it's a Briggs engine with a low oil cut off) and I ended up overfilling the oil. It was the last mow of the season, so I'll work on it over the winter.

Be sure to post what you determine or what progress you make and I'll try to follow up on the mower issue - they might be the same or completely different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really appreciate the reply. That would make sense as it kinda sputters and dies out no matter how much throttle your at. Im away from the bike for the week, so ill check the plugs/ fuel lines and see what i find and let ya know if i make any progress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pulled the bike apart a little this weekend, brand new ngk spark plug the old one seemed to have a brownish color which is good from what i can gather. Tried it out still having issues with dying out randomly. Drained fuel removed petcock cleaned it all out. took carb apart looked clean, rubber diaghram looked good. Only thing i noticed was there wasnt a spring on the end of the choke cable where it goes into the carb, not sure if there should be one there or not but I know my other kawasaki has a spring to keep pressure on the choke needle. Still having the same problem :/

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
I doubt the choke (enrichener) is the cause of the problem, but yes, there is supposed to be a spring on the plunger to keep it closed - key number 8 - part number 16046-HC4-840 $55 US or find a universal spring that will do the job.

Random dying is hard to diagnose, but it either has to be fuel or ignition - if you can spray starting fluid into the intake as it starts to die and keep it running, its's a fuel issue - confirming an ignition problem is harder but one trick I use is to carry an extra spark plug and when it dies, put the plug in the plug cap, lay it on the engine and crank it over - if it has spark immediately after dying and will not restart with starter fluid, it's probably ignition, but still needs more investigation - once all other possibilities are exhausted, then attack the the ignition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay ill have to try that out, thinking it could be my kill switch shorting out i noticed some smoke coming from the switches on the handle bar lol gutta love 30 year old wiring.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Yeah - the Honda has a DC ignition - if the switch in the handlebar housing burns out (loses connection) it will cause a loss of spark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts