Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just looking for some info and a discussion on what is the best to go with, back ground info( I’ve worked full time at a Honda dealership in the past, I have road everything from 83 atc110 up to 700 raptors) And I’m looking into buying another 450r like I used to have, and just doing research, when I worked at the Honda dealership, the 04s and 05 450r’s were nice and fast but shoot didn’t I hate kicking them, I loved my 06 I had due to electric start, but I’m looking for what people has to say for the 450s from 04-14 models and pros and cons of all, I’ve heard 04s and 05s have a lot of crank issues and 06s have trans issues, but heck, if you rag on them a lot, of course things will wear and break, just like to see what people has to say about all years of the trx450rs,
P.S. going to be buying one in a few months

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I'll take the ER - I've had both and never really had problems with either - when the R got hard to start, I just adjusted the valves and all was good again - the ER is a little heavier, but the starter has been totally reliable. Unlike some people, I only use non-ethanol 93 or 94 octane gasoline, I change the oil once a month and do the routine maintenance regularly - change the brake fluid an coolant every 3 years, check the tires and chain each ride, never wash with high pressure (garden hose with a nozzle is plenty of pressure) and every winter I disassemble the suspension for cleaning and re-greasing.

Biggest problems I've seen with transmissions is the failure of most operators to shift properly. Constant mesh transmissions can be shifted without using the clutch and if using the clutch the sequence is not; clutch - shift - release clutch. The correct way to shift is clutch - shift and hold shifter in the direction shifted - release clutch - then release shift lever. This assures engagement (especially at high RPM), decreases the likelihood of 'missed shifts', reduces engagement dog damage and basically eliminates broken transmission gears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How often do you ride the 450, and also was it hard riding or normal riding?
And how long have you owned it and what all problems have you had, and what do you mean grease suspension, like grease bushings and bearings and everything?

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I am a mechanic and have ridden since I was 14 and raced since I was 16 - introduced to ATV's with an Honda ATC90

I only know one way to ride and that is with the throttle wide open. Most of my riding is on flat tracks and the occasional trip to the beach or desert, but I spend more time on 2 wheels than 4 - my favorite ride is my CRF250X

Each winter I disassemble my toys and inspect the suspension bushings and bearings for wear - I wash old grease out and pack new grease in. I replace any parts with perceptible wear and rebuild the engines on a schedule. The CRF gets a new piston every 30 to 40 hours of riding, the TRX450 gets rebuilt once a year and my TRX400EX gets a new top end every couple of years. My 71 Triumph 650 Bonneville only has 5 miles on it, but the engine was rebuilt as preventive maintenance. My 72 Triumph Bonney is undergoing a restoration and my 79 Honda CBX is on the schedule for a go through (I'm collecting parts for the upcoming event). My VT1100 was just serviced and my LTZ400 has a knock that needs to be investigated (I believe the crankshaft is shot), but it's not on the schedule yet. I have all the parts to do a top end job on my Kawasaki KZ305 (it has an oil leak so I am just going to re-ring it when I fix the leak). I have other people's machines to fix before I get to work on my own, so I will have something to do during the winter.

I've never really had any problems with the TRX's, except the starter clutch went out on the 400EX and I've had to replace the batteries several times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang, how much does it usually cost you to rebuild the 450 and/or the 400?
And do you rebuild yourself or have a shop do it.
Any background info or problems I could see with a nice 07 Trx450er?

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I do all my own work.

Top end job cost about $400 in parts on the 250 - that's piston kit w/gaskets, engine oil, transmission oil, oil filter coolant and it takes about 4 1/2 hours.

Top end on the 450 is about $500 and takes about 6 hours.

The 400 is a sport motor and doesn't need rebuilding often - with proper maintenance the 400 will run 10 to 20 years without major repairs.

I had a 97 XR250R that I raced for 7 years before I got the CRF250X - I sold it to a friend who still has it - he never raced it, but it has not had the motor opened up in 23 (soon to be 24) years - it has had some suspension components (steering bearings, fork seals, linkage and swing arm bearings) and some cables replaced, but the engine has not even had a clutch problem. Just adjust the valves, change the oil and filter and ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts