Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1.5 amp draw when all swithes are off. I have disconnected reg/rectifer, and stator connector, no change. ive traced to the natural colored pin connector in multifunction meter. When this multipin connector is disconnected amp draw stops. Are there outputs from this point that could cause the draw dwn or is it likely going to ground in meter? any support will be appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2004 TRX400FA, There are 2) 7 pin connectors inside multifunction meter at printed circuit. The natural colored of off white connector has the power feed on a red wire going in. when this is disconnected amp draw stops. I have been disconnecting external connectors like front and rear VSS, still no change. Thanks for reply!

·
Super Moderator
3,820 Posts
I can find no units with 2) 7 pin connectors on the 04 TRX400FA either Standard or GPS model

There is a 14pin connector on the digital meter and it appears to be green - the GPS model had 10 14 pin connector and 1) 6 pin connector.

Based on what I have seen on the wiring diagrams, I surmise you have a faulty digital display and it needs to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
3,820 Posts
After rereading the post, it appears you have opened the display unit and have disconnected internal connectors? There is no repairing of display unit unless a service is offered by Honda. Based on your description of the the problem, I believe you will need to replace the display unit to rectify the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not aware of any remedial help for display. I was hoping maybe one of the sensors could be causing drawdwn and it was showing up here. (this was just the path current was going through). your correct the connectors were inside display. I didn"t want to replace display and still have problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Disconnected everything with no amp drop, must be grounding internally in cpu. thanks for help, looks like ill b looking for new meter.

·
Super Moderator
3,820 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but I suspected that might be the only solution - try finding a used one at powersportsnation.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
may need to strt new thread.. putting all sensors back in system I need to re initialize the ecm and TPS. in process i got TPS position reset but when i went to the gear shift test i could never get through sequence. screen will show N -- alternating but as i went through the gears to 5th no alternating sequence. Is this an upgraded version or is there an error in process (WHEN I ADVANCED THROUGH GEARS IT WOULD CHANGE GEAR NUMBER BUT NO FLAT LINE)__

·
Super Moderator
3,820 Posts
It only alternates N -- when indexing the ECM - when it is shifted to a gear it should simply indicate the gear - sounds like it is functioning correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts