Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I use to eliminate squeak in the steering bushing on a 2000 Foreman 400? My wifes machine just cant stop squeaking. My '97 foreman has never had this issue, my sons '02 Foreman 450 never has had this issue.

I've disassembled and cleaned the bushing 3 times now. I've use silicon base grease. I've use dry lube spray... hell I even tried dialectic grease the last go around. I know normal grease reacts with rubber so I've been avoiding that. 6 or 7 months later, the squeak is back.

It is not from any other component like brakes, tie rods, ball joints etc. This ATV sits in the Utah desert heat, rarely gets water into it other than the occasional rain storm, so nothing should be displacing the grease. I dont get it.

What do the pro's recommend?

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Replace the rubber bushing which was perhaps at one time lubed with a petroleum product and caused the rubber to swell making it a tighter fit - lube the new rubber with o-ring lubricant and it may solve the problem or get a strip of teflon and adhere it to the current rubber bushing so that the steering post is riding on teflon instead of rubber.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. I actually thought of cutting a piece of teflon sheet and putting in there, but I'll pick up some o-ring lube tomorrow and really clean it all up, scotchbrite the shaft and give it a last go. I was also considering drilling and welding on a nut to hold a zerk so I can get a grease gun on it. If all that fails I'll get a new bushing and start over.

I absolutely love that era Foremans, we do alot of hardcore crawling up steep 8-10000ft mountain trails, these things are tanks. New ones just dont seem as durable, too much plastic. But, EFI would be nice 'thou :)

-DallanC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts