Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought my first atv always wanted one but wouldn't spend the money on it but I got this TRX 500 at a steal so now I'm getting the hang of riding with the guys and getting pulled out of the mud slot don't get me wrong this thing is a beast for a two wheel drive and if I could get the clearance I believe it would go anywhere but I would like to upgrade it to 4by,4 it has the set-up for it just needs the front transaxle I'm just curious if a person is likely to be able to make this change himself or should he just save for years to pay someone

·
Super Moderator
3,759 Posts
How does it have the setup for 4 wheel drive without being a 4x4? The 4x4 used a different frame, motor, suspension, wheel hubs and more.

For what it would cost for the conversion, you would be money and time ahead to buy a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I would not attempt it without knowing more and that knowledge would start with the VIN to know what you have, what is needed and what is available.

BTW, the 4x4's do not use a 'transaxle' - they have a front differential driving CV axles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My apologies I am atv illiterate but have mechanical skills just don't have the lingo for parts
I was thinking the same thing about just buying a 4x4 I was just thinking it would be a good project as for how I came about thinking it was convertible I was listening to idiots not the first time that's happened LOL
I don't have much experience with bigboy toys as there called I just recently got the TRX and am just now getting over the shyness of it killing me after rolling it over on me in the mud which was hilarious to me when I realized I wasn't hurt what a rush
Let me ask you this is the only way I can get more clearance going to be with bigger wheels and tires
And by the way thanks for the honest truth

·
Super Moderator
3,759 Posts
More clearance is achieved with longer front a-arms (which requires longer drive axles and brake lines) wheel spacers, longer shocks and bigger wheels and tires. Also changing wheels and tires etc. puts more stress on the frame, suspension and drive line - that equates to more broken parts and faster wear on wear items like brakes and tires an altered center of gravity (may be easier or harder to turn over, but typically harder to upright after turned over) and changed steering and handling characteristics - some may be better and other worse. Generally speaking, high speed operation suffers the most - they either become twitchy in the steering or unstable above a certain speed. That depends a lot on the tire brand, tread, size and inflation pressure. For some, a higher pressure helps and for others lower pressure helps. Some need to be toed in and some need to be toed out. It's all geometry.

You got to pay to play!

Just have fun and try not to hurt yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I appreciate your help that just about sums up the fact that I can't play to hard till I get a different ATV the money I'd spend to keep up with the guys and their toys I could buy one that was pre-customed "I know a guy" fact is I'm having a blast learning how to ride this one I have figured out that once you're winch pulls you out it is best to unhook it before you get too excited about moving the handlebars don't feel good to the chest these are fun lessons you want to watch and learn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts