Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings folks, I'm looking for a "Air Cleaner Body" (Honda's name) for a 400EX foam filter. This is the metal mesh thing the foam filter goes over. I'm wanting to switch back to a foam filter from a K/N filter. Maybe someone who went from a Foam to something else has a leftover Filter Body they have sitting around.

Thanks

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
The filter body is a backfire arrester - prevents the air filter from going up in flames is the engine backfires through the exhaust - part number is 17211-HN1-000 and is the same for 99-14 400EX and X models.

I might know someone with one laying around - I'll get back with you if I find one.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Sorry - of all the guys I know who have 400EX's none have an air filter form laying around.

Lowest priced one on Ebay is $54.18 - I can get a new one from Honda for $34, but then it will be $12.50 to ship it to you.

Ask around and keep looking - a new one is always an option, but a $20 used one would be better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for at least checking around, I appreciate it. I found the new ones on Partzilla and other sites, Its not worth dropping $50 on this just to swap from K&N to back to foam (the machine came with the K&N).

I added a prefilter to the K&N when I rebuilt the motor last winter. I found dust inside the filter to carb boot... so I see first hand how much less it filters. With a new engine, I'm all for longer life than fractional horse power. I'd rather not have to clean the K&N every trip. I ride this machine in the dunes, not dirt trails so its exposed to less fine dust than say my Foremans that live on dusty high mountain trails... but I know I need to clean the K&Ns often.

I will continue to watch for a used body to show up, $20'ish for a used one sounds about right... honestly, I could fabricate one with some spare sheetmetal and some wire screen mesh I have laying around for next to nothing. I might give that a try over the winter when covid cabin fever is peaking. Then again... there's a reason I also own snowmobiles :)

-DallanC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts