Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2000 400ex and have a stage 2 Webcams cam being made.

Webcams stated I needed to send in my Rockers to be hardwelded for the new cam.
Would that mean that they are welding on the surface touching the cam? (Which would fill in the waring on the surface previously made as well if so)

Also, one of the rockers has a piece broken off that I assume was to help stop the rocker from going any farther that direction. (Think its rocker arm C #11 on honda parts diagrams) meaning I need a new one to replace it.

So can I run one new rocker arm with the other 3 used?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
No - you never install a new cam without installing new rocker arms and you never want to use stock chromed rocker arms on a hard weld cam - the rocker arms (even a new one) needs to be hard welded to match the material on the cam. If not, the cam might as well be cast iron and the rocker arms aluminum - which one do you think will wear out the fastest; the cam or the rocker arm?

The tab on the rocker arm that is broken off is fir the auto-decompressor - if the cam is being reground into a high lift cam, the auto-decomprerssor is eliminated as the cam profile is higher than decompressor lobe, therefore the entire auto-decompressor mechanism should be removed form the cam and the actuator spring and plunger in the head casting needs to be disposed of as well. If the rocker arm with the broken tab is not broken in any other fashion, have it hard welded and refaced and you can use it without buying a new one and getting the new one hard faced or get a used one and have it hard faced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No - you never install a new cam without installing new rocker arms and you never want to use stock chromed rocker arms on a hard weld cam - the rocker arms (even a new one) needs to be hard welded to match the material on the cam. If not, the cam might as well be cast iron and the rocker arms aluminum - which one do you think will wear out the fastest; the cam or the rocker arm?

The tab on the rocker arm that is broken off is fir the auto-decompressor - if the cam is being reground into a high lift cam, the auto-decomprerssor is eliminated as the cam profile is higher than decompressor lobe, therefore the entire auto-decompressor mechanism should be removed form the cam and the actuator spring and plunger in the head casting needs to be disposed of as well. If the rocker arm with the broken tab is not broken in any other fashion, have it hard welded and refaced and you can use it without buying a new one and getting the new one hard faced or get a used one and have it hard faced.
Awesome Information, So if I get them resurfaced along with welded, then I shouldn't need new rocker arms, correct?

Update: I talked to Webcams and they said that the decompresion lobe on the rocker arm should be there for there cam but most ppl put that rocker arm on the wrong side and it gets broken off hitting the head. (which is probably what previous owner did) But they said they give instructions on how to install them correctly. (they also resurface the old rockers in the welding prosses they have) They state nothing really needed to be done with the sub rockers and they should be fine.

Maybe this is just on Webcam rockers on how they build there stuff?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
Awesome Information, So if I get them resurfaced along with welded, then I shouldn't need new rocker arms, correct?

also, do I need to have anything done to the sub-arm rockers?

Thanks
Right - the old rocker arms will be better than the OEM rocker arms as long as they are not damage in a way that prevents their refacing and that will be determined by Web Cam.

No - the sub rockers do not need repaired or replaced unless there is extraordinary or unusual were or damage on them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right - the old rocker arms will be better than the OEM rocker arms as long as they are not damage in a way that prevents their refacing and that will be determined by Web Cam.

No - the sub rockers do not need repaired or replaced unless there is extraordinary or unusual were or damage on them
Awesome, I did just talk to Webcams again, they said if I am removing the plunger pin and spring, then I can have the decompression lobe ground off (as you had stated) and that would also work with there cam.

They told me if my Rocker arm only had that tab broke and arm is ok, then they could grind it for me and it would be fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the rocker that has that lobe broken. It's seems to be in the correct placement though?

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
Yeah - just grind it flush before you send it out

What's up with the silicone seal? I can see that you are not using the shim that Honda designed for the cover and have a paper gasket in it's place. Clean that chit off and get the metal shim that goes in there (necessary for proper journal clearance) - wipe the surfaces with lacquer prior to assembly and assemble clean and dry - torque the cover 8mm bolt to 24 foot lbs and the 6mm bolts to 80 inch lbs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts