1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Honda TRX350FM Fourtrax 4x4
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Plant Wheel Sky Vehicle

hello everyone!
last summer i came into the possession of this 01 honda fourtrax 350, it was in pretty sorry condition and unfortunately i didn't have the time or resources to fix it then, so it has been sitting tarped in my yard over the winter but now that it's spring i'd like to get it running but have no idea where to start as i've had little mechanical experience and none on atv's any help or advice towards getting it running would be greatly appreciate!

·
Super Moderator
4,722 Posts
Start with the basics: First inspect the air filter box for signs of a rodent nest - with the air box cleaned out, connect a battery, old style HD charger or jump pack and check the electrical (no need to install a new battery until you know it's in runnable condition) - check the compression and check for spark using a new other than Champion spark plug - provided it has compression and spark, check the oil level - if over full and smells like gas, drain it (don't worry about the oil filter at this time) and fill with new JASO rated oil - turn the fuel petcock off if it's on, remove the fuel line from the tank or carb (which ever is easier), drain the old fuel out of the carb (if any) and try starting on starting fluid - while the engine is cranking, spray starting fluid into the intake - if it starts, fill the carb with fresh 91 octane non-ethanol blended fuel and try starting it normally - if it starts and seemingly runs normal, drain the fuel tank in the reserve position, shut off the petcock, then put a small amount of fuel or lacquer thinner in the in the tank and slosh it vigorously - then drain the tank and put in about 1 quart of 91 octane non-ethanol fuel, wait a few minutes, put the petcock in the reserve position and drain out about a 1/2 cup of fuel. Now reconnect the fuel line to the carb, turn on to reserve position and try starting normally - at this point it is either operable or you will have found out what the deficiencies are and can address them. After driving it for about 15 to 20 minutes, then change the oil and the filter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts