Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have been working on a problem with my bike (2006 TRX 450ER), symptom: it wont start! I have fuel, oil, clean filter(s), good spark on the plug, as far as I know the starter is good...the thing that throws me off is that when the bike is warm or has ran for a bit...it starts no problem, it's when it's cold is the issue (and yes I have pulled the choke). One idea I got from a friend is that the carburetor is clogged (possibly a jet issue)!? The only caveat to that is that the 'RPM's' have to be kept up for an idle when it actually starts (when it's warm/ran for a bit)!? Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
Adjust the valves. On overhead cam engines, the valves decrease their clearence due to wear on the valves and valve seats. When the valves get tight, the compression is dropped just a bit and it gets hard to start. Once running, compression forces the valve closed and it seems to run fine. Hot engines start better than cold engines, so when it's hot it seems to start fine. Over a period of time, the clearence decreases to a point that the compression is dropped sufficiently that only using starting fluid or push starting will get it going. Eventually it will get to where it won't even start hot.

High performance modifications require the valves be checked more often and the oil should be changed more often too. Running with the top off the air box and using K&N filters speeds the wear on the valves, piston and rings. K&N filters flow more air, but they flow more dirt too.

These small high horsepower engines are not simple motors. The frequency of maintenance is a cost of high performance. Heed the minimum service intervals in the owner's manual and remember - you can't change the oil, clean and oil the air filter, adjust the valves, check coolant, tire pressure, cable adjustment, lube pivot points, check brakes, bearings etc. too often. If you can't do it yourself, take it to a qualified mechanic and get it done and done right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.