Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum or not , but i just baught new battery terminals hoping that may be the issue, new solenoid is on its way, if its not the solenoid what could it be? i washed it one day & it dident start when i got home than a few days later it did. Maybe electrical problem somewhere? i tryed jumping the posts that did nothing, i have the ground terminal to i just dident install it it was to cold, could that be an issue also?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also after i installed the new positive terminal it did turn over 3 times than started clicking, i thaught it was the battery not gettijg enough juice because of how the previous owner had the wire to the solenoid riggedup.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
It's probably the battery, a poor connection, or the starter motor.

Could be the solenoid, but usually when the solenoid goes bad, it just clicks once each time the button is pushed or it doesn't click at all.

What causes the clicking is low voltage. When the solenoid closes allowing amperage to flow to the starter motor, the draw of the starter causes the battery voltage to drop low enough that it can't hold the solenoid closed and it opens. As soon as it opens, voltage rises and it closes again. As soon as it closes it the cycle repeats - rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat.

To find out if it's the battery, jump it with a known good battery (car or lawn mower battery will do) - if it works normally with jumper cables, get a new battery. If the battery is known to be good, check the ground connections on the frame. If it turns slow with a jumper battery, then it's probably the starter motor.

When you get it running, you need to check the charging system to make sure the battery isn't just draining while you ride.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Put the meter on the battery and try starting - voltage should not drop below about 9.5 volts when the starter motor is turning the engine.

A bad battery can still meter at 12.5 volts - voltage is the push, amperage is the flow - the starter motor needs amperage - a 12 volt motor will run on 3 volts, but it turns very slow, it will run just fine on 14 or 15 volts, but it will burn up on 18 volts.

You probably have a bad battery or an under-charged battery

FYI - a fully charged 12 volt battery has 13.2 volts - the charging system has to exceed 13.8 volts to charge a battery, but the regulator should prevent charging above 14.2 to 14.8 volts.

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.