Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My trx 90 wont stay running. It never did idle. I got it from mom in law didn't run, cleaned carb and got it runnin but if I let go of gas it dies. It runs on choke but now it will take off but die in 1 to 3 mins plz help. I am mechanically inclined.:(:confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
Sounds like a classic carb problem and/or fuel problem

The idle speed is adjusted with a screw on the LH side of the carb between the choke lever and the fuel adjustment screw perpendicular to the slide. Once running, warmed up and the idle set, the fuel adjustment screw is used to adjust for a smooth idle

If it will only run on choke, it's not getting fuel into the slide needle jet. Float level might be low or insufficient fuel delivery from the tank might be the culprit. Pull one of the fuel lines off the carb and let the fuel flow into a container. The line should flow full and continuous. Do the same with the other line. One line is main tank and the other is reserve. Do this with the gas cap on the tank. If fuel flows fine and then slows, remove the gas cap and see if flow resumes. The gas cap is vented and has a check valve to let air in but prevent gas from coming out. I have found blockages in the hose on the cap and bad caps.

Also, check flow from the tank through the petcock on the carb. Take the sediment bowl off and turn the petcock on. Check both positions. It is not uncommon for alcohol in the fuel damaging the seal in the petcock and restricting flow. It also possible the spigots on the fuel tank are clogged with old fuel residue. If the petcock is damaged, you can buy a new fuel bowl for the carb (1993-2005 models) for about $100

Good luck and let me know what you find. BTW - a whole new carb is about $155

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think i found the problem

Lol thank u for your advice. When cleaning carb the pilot jet was so clogged I couldn't see threw it. The side holes I got clean the long hole I couldn't get so I tried to drill it out nd the bit was way too big. Goin to petes cycles now to buy new jet. Ill let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its an easy carb to pull on and off and its inexpensive so thats good. But man, you need to treat this carb like fine china between rides. It is so prone to blockages which is quite surprising for honda. Maybe it has something to do with that integrated petcock. My sons old CRF70 has none of the problem that this thing has with the carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.